Sunday, September 27, 2020

A Neighborhood Walk, A Musical Journey by Pilar Winter Hill


Welcome Back, Booklovers! I was lucky enough to receive an arc of this picture book from Edelweiss in exchange for review. I love discovering new picture books for the children in my life. There's nothing like getting a child interested in reading by putting a vibrant story into their hands that they can relate to. 

The author of this story is Pilar Winter Hill who is a 14 yr old violinist who studies in Julliard's pre-college program. Her violin videos rack up the views online where she has nearly 500,000 followers on Instagram. I think it's wonderful that she decided to write this book to inspire young girls to pick up an instrument.

In this story the illustrations by Olivia Duchess paint the journey of Farmer's Market Day in the city for Penelope and her mother. As Penelope heads out the door after breakfast she comes across a saxophone player on the corner. The artwork is beautiful full of beautiful hues. I just wish the words on the page were a little more lyrical like a song. I think if it had a more song like flow it would resonate longer. But nevertheless it's a sweet story about a girl who discovers the instrument she wants play after a day filled with music. 


1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed the review. The art style for this book looks so cozy.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Lover of food and lore. I'm always looking to get lost in my next adventure between the pages. https://ko-fi.com/mswocreader