Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Mine at Midnight by Jamie Pope

 

Welcome Back Booklovers! Once again I dipped into the Kimani Romance backlist to read an author I never read before. This is one that I found on Hoopla. Mine at Midnight by Jamie Pope was a small town romance and you know I love me some small town romance. This was a little different than the usual small town romances I read though since it was a small island off Florida. 

Ava is preparing to get married in the wedding of the century in a few days to a Belgium billionaire when his long-time mistress shows up at her doorstep and makers herself and her children known. Oddly enough she insists she's not trying to break up the engagement but just wants to make her presence known and that she knows which position she plays. Well Ava isn't ready to fall in line with this arrangement and promptly calls off the wedding. 

Derek is the handsome young mayor of Hideaway Island and owns the house next door to the one Ava is staying at. He's had run ins with Ava's fiancĂ© and brushes her off as a woman similar to his mother who is easily impressed by rich men with no aspirations beyond being arm candy. 

After watching Ava destroy a $25,000 he decides to check on her and stop her before she sets it ablaze. After that they start spending time together and Derek realizes she's not the spoiled princess he thought she was. 

I don't think the title fit the story and I wonder what the inspiration was behind it because it certainly nothing in the book. No one became anyone's at midnight. And some of the banter was incredibly childish. They felt less like 20 something year old adults and more like children on the playground being childish. Like her teasing him about his kisses being gross and ridiculous name calling. It ripped me away from the story every time. Childish banter aside I was still digging the romance as they really got to know each other and become good friends. It was nice to see them freely talk about their families and insecurities and there were some sizzling scenes. 

But then the longer Ava stayed in Hideaway the more she lost herself in the relationship. I didn't like how suddenly she was cooking for him, cleaning for him, organizing his paperwork. So many times it was emphasized that she gave up pieces of herself for her ex Max and she was so ready to do the same for Derek. But he wasn't giving up anything for her. And while he comforted her early on and helped her through the breakup she started to take on a more motherly role as he battled his own mother. Much of the conflict in this story stems from Derek's issues with both his mother and father. And for me the romance fell apart towards the end. 


2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed the review. Sounds like this book didn't live up to its potential.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It didn't! With that cover and that premise I wanted more!

      Delete

About Me

My photo
Lover of food and lore. I'm always looking to get lost in my next adventure between the pages. https://ko-fi.com/mswocreader