Saturday, July 3, 2021

What the Hex by Alexis Daria

 

Welcome Back, Booklovers! I've been loving audiobooks recently for those days I don't feel like turning digital or physical pages. Listening to romance is interesting because it could be sizzling or  cringe or flat. And Audible Originals are more miss than hit but this one was a winner.



Catalina Cartagena has been away from Isla Bruja, the secret magical isle off the coast of Miami where her family of Puerto Rican Brujos resides along with several other families. Invisible to humans this vibrant isle is home to some of the most powerful witches in the world. She's taking a break from the NYC fashion industry where she's been thriving and is back for her sister's wedding that's essentially a merger to unite her family with another powerful family. But when she returns to her family's estate she realizes things aren't as they seem. Everyone seems to be under a spell and somehow it's connected to these interview cameras she must avoid.

The only other person aware something is going on is Diego Paz, her high school rival. Diego is no longer the nerdy boy she remembers. He's a lot hotter and confident now. And Catalina is ready to ride his broomstick. But that will have to wait as they figure out a plan to vanquish the demon holding their families hostage. And then there's her little problem about not being able to tap into her magic anymore. 

Alexis Daria comes through with another winner in the form of a witchy rom-com.  I've been saying since I saw paranormal romance making a resurgence that I hope to see some more diversity among them.  So when I got her newsletter and she revealed the cover I was excited. Puerto-Rican brujos? Yes, please!  And I liked that all the conflict in this story was non-romantic. Just our main couple exploring their feelings while saving their families from a demon. This had everything I want in a romance novella. The narrator was good, the plot was interesting, and the couple had sizzling chemistry. I look forward to my next Alexis Daria read. Seriously this book had easy to understand lore, great narration, corny witchy puns, magical sex, spell-casting, and Puerto Rican food. What more could you ask for?




1 comment:

About Me

My photo
Lover of food and lore. I'm always looking to get lost in my next adventure between the pages. https://ko-fi.com/mswocreader