Monday, October 18, 2021

What Happens in Miami by Nadine Gonzalez

Welcome Back, Booklovers! So I wanted to read a Latinx story before Latinx Heirtage Month ended and What Happens in Miami had been on my TBR for months. I was already familiar with Nadine Gonzalez and she sold me with the Afro-Cuban American hero and Haitian-American heroine. I never see that pairing in books. Plus the Miami setting promised it would bring the heat. And who knew the art world could be so sexy?



Angeline "Angel" Louis is filling in for a coworker by presenting artwork to a client on behalf of her employer, Gallery Six. It's the start of Art Basel Week in Miami and there's so much going on. Angel is able to secure the sale with famous actor  Alessandro "Sandro" Cardenas. However the painting isn't the only thing Sandro is interested in. He makes it clear that he wants her to spend the night. Despite Angel knowing how highly unprofessional it would be to sleep with a client, she decides to let loose and go all in. 

Though Angel makes a swift escape the next morning Sandro can't get her out of his mind. After meeting up later that evening at an event Sandro convinces her to spend some more time together. He's also curious about her employer and wants to know if she has any information on them. Fake paintings are being sold as works by his grandfather. He just has to gather enough evidence to prove it. This element of mystery not only added some drama but it allowed readers to meet Sandro's family and explore the relationships he has with them.

Angel is getting over a breakup and is at a place in her career where she feels lost and like she's failed. Her strict Haitian family wanted her to be a doctor or a lawyer and don't support her career in the arts. I liked that Sandro made her stop and think about what she wanted in life and not just give up and move back to her hometown.

This was very much escapism that requires you to suspend belief. I didn't understand why but the author choose to have this relationship take place over the course of a week which I found to be unnecessary. I enjoyed how supportive Sandro was and how he wanted to help her pursue her dreams but the way he acted I thought a couple of weeks had passed sooner than the book stated. Even with a happy for now it was a lot. It would've made more sense to have their initial meeting take place during Art Basel Week but have them getting to know each other over the next few weeks. A few rounds of sex doesn't cause such deep feelings. And speaking of sex the build up was so hot and then it went fade to black. Why must some authors tease me like that?

All in all this was a quick with little bits of Haitian and Cuban culture that I enjoyed set across a sexy Miami backdrop.

3 comments:

  1. Not a big fan of this cover, but I tend to enjoy a whirlwind meeting/courtship. I may check this one out from my library. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover wasn't my fave either but I enjoyed the story

      Delete
  2. Enjoyed the review.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Lover of food and lore. I'm always looking to get lost in my next adventure between the pages. https://ko-fi.com/mswocreader