Friday, November 26, 2021

How to Marry Keanu Reeves in 90 Days by K.M. Jackson

Welcome Back, Booklovers! The cover and the name of this rom-com intrigued me and I was lucky enough to receive a copy through Hachette/Forever. 


Bethany Lu is obsessed with Keanu Reeves and has been ever since his movies became a source of comfort to her after her brother died. When he finds out he's engaged to be married she's ready to have a meltdown. She must chase him down and convince him that she's his true soulmate. Bethany enlists the help of her best friend Truman and goes on a road trip determined to come face to face with her crush.

I started reading it physically and it wasn't really gripping me from the beginning so I ended up switching to the audiobook. I think the audiobook really made the difference for me. The narrator, Tyla Collier was great and really elevated the book in some parts where it fell flat. I don't think I would've had the same experience reading it physically. There were some scenes that were a little cringe for me especially the encounters with celebrities. Along the journey Bethany Lu runs into popular celebrities who are not Keanu and it just felt awkward and forced instead of fun. When Keanu does finally appear it's so heavy handed and really doesn't feel like the Keanu we know from interviews or even like the parodies he's played of himself. 

Tru carried this book. He was really the best friend a woman could have. And he had the patience of a saint to put up with Bethany Lu. While I appreciate seeing more characters in their 40s in romance this character did not feel like she was in her 40s. The concept is a hard enough sell but she was very immature and her reactions often came across as younger. And then she seemed to be at a stage in her career where she didn't seem to know where it was going or what her plan was. Most men would not accompany a woman on a trip to meet the guy she's crushing on when they want her for themselves. Tru was very supportive of her because he realized she needed to heal from her past trauma. I enjoyed the chapters from his POV. I like friends to lovers stories so seeing them fall in love with each other while on the road was a highlight for me. 

A slow starter and some rocky moments throughout but a quick listen and Keanu fans will love all the movie references. 


1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed the review. That level of obsession with a celebrity stresses me out, I don't think I'd be able to read this one.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Lover of food and lore. I'm always looking to get lost in my next adventure between the pages. https://ko-fi.com/mswocreader