Sunday, January 9, 2022

Utilizing the Library

Welcome Back, Booklovers! Today I wanted to make a post about the library. The same library that often comes up only in piracy conversations for some people only to be ignored again. Last year I made more of an effort to support my local library and I've discovered a variety of services it offers the community.

One of the bright spots of this pandemic is that it caused me to start utilizing the library again after having stopped for a few years. With Kindle deals of the day, Audible subscriptions, and Netgalley and Edelweiss arc at my disposal I had taken a break from reading a lot of physical books in general and in  my mind that's what the library was for.  But then some Book loving friends told me about Libby and Hoopla and my life was changed. I feel like I'm constantly discovering new things on both. Not only can I borrow ebooks and audiobooks but they also have movies and music. I was so happy when I saw it had some of the Lifetime holiday movies that I missed.

They're not going to have all the books you want but they can definitely save you some money. Especially when it comes to new buzzy releases you won't get to for a few months anyway. And if you save some money on the traditionally published releases you can always spend it on the indie published ones.

I understand that not all libraries are created equal and that many people especially outside of the US live in areas where they don't have an accessible local library. But those of us who do need to acknowledge how the library is more than just a place to get books but a community center of sorts.

Just some of the resources my two libraries offer include local genealogy database, resources to start a small business, snack packs for the kids during the summer, craft kits for the kids, computer classes, museum passes, conferences, hot spot rentals, printing, faxing, and copying,  cooking classes, English as a second language, public meeting rooms, passport applications and photos, and notary services. 

For those of you in the US who live in a small town with a library system that never has the books you want I recommend looking into the other libraries in your state. Some of the bigger library systems offer virtual cards free of charge for patrons who live in state. 

Publishing is relying hard on pre-orders despite that method not even being how most people choose their books. And I've seen readers online feel like they have to pre-order all the books to support authors but then also struggling with wanting to save money.  If you have a library system that's able to take requests and you want to support and author you can either recommend they purchase a physical copy or you can recommend a purchase through Overdrive.

And not all libraries do it so definitely check with your local library, but some libraries accept book donations of newer, gently read books. And encourage your favorite authors to visit their local libraries and donate. And add pre-orders through the library to their pre-order campaigns. 

If your local library has a foundation I highly recommend donating to it. Maybe skip that monthly book haul and contact your library to inquire about how to  use those same funds to purchase a book for them. That book that's a complete cover buy that you'll unhaul before the year ends could be a donation to your library so many readers can enjoy it. $25 doesn't seem like a lot but that's the donation fee for my local library to purchase and maintain a book.


1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed the post. My library has museum passes. I might be able to use them now that I work from home.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Lover of food and lore. I'm always looking to get lost in my next adventure between the pages. https://ko-fi.com/mswocreader