Wednesday, November 23, 2022

The Scourge Between Stars by Ness Brown

Welcome Back, Booklovers! For November I needed a book that was a change from my normal reads and I've been really trying to get into more sci-fi books and the blend of sci-horror along with the shorter length was enough to get me to pick up The Scourge Between Stars. Thanks you to Tor Nightfire for sending me an arc.


After failing to colonize another planet the remnants of that mission have been wandering through space with hopes of returning back to Earth. Starvation seems like their biggest threat until a mysterious alien species infiltrates their ship Calypso, and starts causing death and destruction. First mate Jacklyn must assume captain duties and figure out how to keep the rest of the ship alive.

I was beginning to wonder if I'm just not an SFF novella person because it's been awhile since I read once I enjoyed. However this pulled me in. It felt like a full length novel in the right way. It's an approachable sci-fi read with a set up that felt real. I think the author's background in astrophysics helped. It's a simple concept that's been done before but Ness Brown manages to hit the right levels of emotion while not solely relying on atmosphere to carry the story. And the ending leaves you with a sense of hope while leaving room for much more.


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Lover of food and lore. I'm always looking to get lost in my next adventure between the pages. https://ko-fi.com/mswocreader