Tuesday, February 14, 2023

Interview with Author Tamika Burgess

Welcome Back, Booklovers! Sincerely Sicily was such a great final read of 2022. It's not all the time that I finish a book and think about how my local library needs to have copies because the main character is like so many girls from my neighborhood. After reading it I reached out to interview Tamika Burgess. So keep reading to get to know the author behind this must read middle grade. 


Outside of your debut novel you also have over a decade of experience for film/television as well as personal essays. How did your writing career get started? 

I’ve always enjoyed writing but looked at it as a hobby, nothing I could make a career out of. It wasn’t until 2012, when I left my job in advertising, that I decided I needed to spend my time doing things I enjoyed and, if possible, get paid for it. That led to freelance writing personal essays for online publications and drafting film and television scripts. But I enjoyed manuscript writing most, so I pursued that and ended up with Sincerely Sicily.

 

Why did you decide to write a story for the middle grade readers?

I don't remember choosing middle grade. I think it chose me, lol! When I started writing what is now my debut novel, Sincerely Sicily, I started out writing a picture book. But while writing, I realized I had a lot more to say, which would not work well for the concise way picture books have to be written. But I knew I wanted to write for an age group who was young and at the age where they are starting to learn about themselves and discover the world around them. 


What’s your creative process like? Do you have a set schedule for when you sit down and write?

I try to do most of my drafting on the weekends when I have hours to dedicate to it. I recently learned that I am more productive when I draft on paper rather than sitting at the computer and just typing. In addition, before starting any writing, I have to have an outline and know where my story is going before I start. Without that, I’ll just be wasting my time writing random thoughts that pop into my head.


In Sincerely Sicily we see a subversion of the image we’re used to in the media where the daughter is the darker skinned one in the family and the brother is the lighter skinned one. Was that intentional?

No, I pulled that directly from my own family, as my mom and I are darker than my dad and brother. I actually didn’t even realize the significance of that being in Sincerely Sicily until reading this question, so thank you for asking about it. 

 

Have you ever had an encounter like Sicily had in the book with Abuela?

No one has ever judged/discriminated against me because of my hair, at least not to my face. But I candidly wrote about Sicily's experience because I have heard many real-life experience stories and read many articles about people having to deal with it.  

 

What’s one thing you wished you knew going into book 1 that you now know writing book 2?

I wish I’d been aware of all the ins and outs of the publishing world. There is a lot that happens that no one tells you about. For example, I thought I was done once I completed my final draft of my manuscript, and my publisher would take care of everything else. But that was not the case, and I often feel like everything that comes up after the book is written is like a second full-time job that I had no idea was coming my way. 

 

Did you get to visit Panama often as a child? And if so what was the experience like?

I did go when I was young, but I don’t remember those visits. My first memory of being in Panama was when I was fifteen. I went with my parents, and we stayed between my dad’s sister’s house and my mom’s parent’s house in an area known as the Canal Zone. From my grandparent’s porch, I saw ships transit the canal. I remember specifically having a problem adjusting to the humidity. 

 

What are some activities you enjoy when you’re not reading or writing?

I love relaxing. So that involves listening to music, reading, listening to crime podcasts, binge-watching a series, chatting with friends and family, or napping. 

If you could master one skill instantly what would it be?

It would be the ability to remain calm in high-pressure situations. I do a good job of reminding myself to stay calm, but that usually comes after a breakdown.

Are there any upcoming projects you’d like to talk about? 

My next middle-grade novel features a Panamanian boy. I am still in the early stages of outlining and figuring out the book's themes. But just as with Sincerely Sicily, readers can expect Panamanian culture and historical elements. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Lover of food and lore. I'm always looking to get lost in my next adventure between the pages. https://ko-fi.com/mswocreader