Monday, April 22, 2024

King of Dead Things by Nevin Holness

Welcome Back, Booklovers! King of Dead Things came on my radar with it's promises of Afro-Caribbean fantasy and a fresh fantasy from a Black British author. My love of reading stories about Black people from all over the diaspora and specifically seeing Black boys at the forefront of the story made this a must read for me. If you're interested keeping reading. 


King of Dead Things follows the Malcom and Eli, two Black teens navigating London's magical underbelly. Eli, has no memory of where he came from but he does have special magical skills which he uses to heal people and do odd jobs for his landlord, Pam who rents him a room above her West Indian takeout restaurant. Eli is tasked with retrieving the fang of Osebo, a weapon with magic draining capabilities. Malcolm has powers that can wake the dead and an infamous father who he can't seem to escape despite his absence. Eli and Malcolm's paths cross when bodies start turning up of people who've had the magic ripped out of them.

While the promise of Afro-Caribbean fantasy drew me in, I have to admit that it also made me a bit hesitant seeing it as a selling point. I'm just remembering past experience where I read books that made that promise yet failed to deliver. King of Dead Things did not disappoint when it came to highlighting not only Caribbean mythology but also traditions and superstitions like the nine nights featured here. People who've grown up in the culture will find themselves smiling at familiar sayings and attitudes from some of the characters.

Nevin Holness does a great job making the voices of both Eli and Malcom as well as side characters like Max, Sunny, and Pam distinct which kept my attention. She's also great at these vivid descriptions whether it be food or emotions that really have you immersed in the scenes every chapter. This is a character driven story and I was especially drawn to Malcolm and his relationship with his father. The first in a duology, the ending leaves you ready to know what will happen next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Lover of food and lore. I'm always looking to get lost in my next adventure between the pages. https://ko-fi.com/mswocreader