Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Malicia by Steven dos Santos

Welcome Back, Booklovers! It's still Read Caribbean and I needed a good fast paced read after coming off a more slow burn book. Enter Malicia, a haunted theme park book I've been wanting to read. 


Raymundo, Sofia, Joaquin, and Isabella are on a small island off the coast of the Dominican Republic shooting a documentary on the now defunct amusement park Malicia. Malicia was closed 13 years earlier after a mass killing took place there. Ray's mother and brother were killed in that mass murder, Isabella is hoping this film project will get her recognition and into the school of her dreams, Sofia is looking for one last adventure with her friends, and Joaquin is apart of a coven and knows the secrets of the Malicia Massacre and is ready to sacrifice Ray to save himself. When a hurricane hits the island and the demon El Baca starts attacking the adventure truly begins.

I was looking for something spooky and this definitely delivered on atmosphere without being as vague as some of my other reads. I appreciated the short and to the point chapters as we alternated povs amongst the characters. The constant shifting between characters did a great job keeping up the tension and it kept my attention. I laughed out loud of the descriptions of Malicia the park because it's like a horror themed Disney complete with a scary version of  "It's a Small World". Various characters from Dominican folklore also make appearances on page. It has all the elements of a fun teen horror romp.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Lover of food and lore. I'm always looking to get lost in my next adventure between the pages. https://ko-fi.com/mswocreader