Monday, December 30, 2019

My Top 5 Favorite Reads of 2019

Since everyone keeps asking for my favorite reads of the year I decided to make one post.


 1. Kingdom of Souls by Rena Barron

I'm posting the UK cover of the book because this is how I pictured Arrah while reading the story and this is the cover of the arc I received. I stanned this book! It was a slow burn fantasy but I thoroughly enjoyed it. The world building was so rich.



2. Color Me in by Natasha Diaz

Why aren't people discussing this book more? This book was so beautifully written it made me cry. It did such a great job examining mixed and white passing privilege, colorism, and coming of age.


3. The Black God's Drums by P. Djèlí Clark

I wish this novella were a full length novel because I enjoyed the mix of African, Haitian, Creole, African American, and Trinidadian culture present through this story. The world was better developed than some full length novels.






4.The Good Luck Girls by Charlotte Nicole Davis

This story hooked me from the first few pages. My heart was beating so fast during the first chapter. The western aspect was very different from my usual reads and made this story stand out. 


 5. The Worst Best Man

This is actually a 2020 release I received an arc for. I love contemporary romance. If you're a fan of The Wedding Date by Jasmine Guillory you'll enjoy this. This was the first story I read with an Afro-Brazilian lead and I loved the little cultural touches throughout



No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Lover of food and lore. I'm always looking to get lost in my next adventure between the pages. https://ko-fi.com/mswocreader