Saturday, July 4, 2020

The Voting Booth by Brandy Colbert

Welcome Back, Booklovers!


I didn't read as much as I wanted to this past week but I was determined to finish The Voting Booth before it published. I received an arc from Disney Book Group in exchange for an  honest review and I was excited because this was one of my most anticipated YA releases of 2020 and it did not disappoint. 



This is one of those romance in a day type books that is being compared to The Sun is Also a Star. Love in a day usually doesn't vibe with me whether it's in books or movies but this one was different. It didn't feel forced. Marva and Duke had a really naturally chemistry and despite having just met felt like old friends.

This book also touched on a lot of very relevant topics in addition to the importance of voting as Marva and Duke rush from polling place to polling place to help him cast his vote. Marva and her family celebrate Juneteenth every year.  I was only introduced to Juneteenth 7 yrs ago and I've never been to a big celebration so I'm by no means an expert. But I did notice how many business jumped on the Juneteenth train this year including my own job. And I notice white people spreading a lot of false info about this holiday they just discovered. Marva recalls having to explain to her white boyfriend Alec that Fourth of July is not a big deal to her family because when the Declaration of Independence was signed her people were not free. How many times we gotta tell white folks that blue and green folks don't exist so stop using random colors as a defense? 

Duke is biracial. And I thought that was addressed very well. It showed that like many biracial people he often feels like he doesn't fit in with one side or another. He can sometimes get on the defense over certain jokes because his mother is white and it feels like a slight against her. He feels the need to point out that his mother is not one of those white women who has mixed kids without raising them to know anything about Blackness.

Duke is also struggling because he lost his older brother to gun violence and his brother Julian was a big activist in his community specially fighting against gun violence. His death tore his whole family apart and he feels a pressure to compare to him. Specifically when it comes to voting his Ma reminds him of all his brother fought for.

Marva is a Black girl that reminds me a little bit of myself. I too was a Black girl who spent high school surrounded by white kids who just didn't get it. Unlike me though she's very driven and a lot more active.  She's known what she's wanted to do in life for awhile and has her academic career well planned out. 

I thought this was very well written and I'm hoping it can give perspective to some new voters in the midst of election season. Though it may not seem like your voice is always heard it's important to stand up and fight for change versus sitting back silent. And I've said it prior to reading and I'll set it again that this is the type of content Disney should be adapting and bringing to Disney Plus. 


1 comment:

  1. Interesting review. Congrats on getting an arc.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Lover of food and lore. I'm always looking to get lost in my next adventure between the pages. https://ko-fi.com/mswocreader