Friday, July 3, 2020

Interview with Author Brandy Colbert

Hey Booklovers,

I can't believe we're in July already. June was a busy month for reading and blogging. My most productive month this year. I'm very happy to bring you all another interview from my author interview series. If you aren't familiar with Brandy Colbert then you should get familiar. She's been featured in a number of YA anthologies in addition to her standalone contemporary books.


What inspired you to become a writer? 

I’ve always loved stories and reading. From a young age, my parents took me to the library and bookstores, where I browsed the stacks and shelves and loved getting lost in other worlds. I realized as a young child that I had stories I wanted to tell, too. I started writing at the age of seven and never stopped.

I remember your debut story Pointe receiving a lot of acclaim during a time when there were far less Black books in the mainstream. What was that experience like?

I’m so proud of that book, and am pleased with how much it resonated with people. I was surprised that the story I’d had in my head for years was actually published and available to read, and that some people liked the story and sympathized with the characters. At the same time, there were so few children’s/YA books being published by Black authors then, and I believe a lot of the discussions we’re having today apply to my book back then. I do believe it could have reached a broader audience if there had been more support for Black stories and Black writers. Even today, a lot of readers don’t realize that Little & Lion wasn’t my debut.

Had to post the original cover of Pointe for those of us who read it back in 2014


And to piggyback off that question. What challenges have you faced in the industry as a Black author?

Just like many, many aspects of being Black, my career is shaped by an institutionally racist system. Black authors routinely receive less marketing, bear complaints of characters and stories not being “relatable,” and have to work ten times as hard just to get the same respect and attention as our white colleagues. Black authors must also deal with gatekeepers who believe one narrative is more valuable than another; for instance, books dealing heavily with Black pain are often boosted over books featuring Black joy. Even with the current movement, the first instinct many people had was to recommend kids read books about police brutality, civil rights struggles, etc. Of course these books are valuable and always deserve a place on the shelf because they are dealing with important issues. And some of my books deal with these issues, too. But readers shouldn’t have to witness a character experiencing racist violence or pain to empathize with Black people, and to consistently push this narrative is harmful to everyone.

What was it like writing for the Middle Grade audience vs the Young Adult audience with The Only Black Girls in Town?

I loved writing for middle grade readers! There is something so cozy and sweet about that age, though kids are certainly no stranger to pain and suffering, just like any other age group. I liked focusing more on friendships and family than romance and adolescent issues, and it was nice to get back into the head of a twelve-year-old. Everything is big and new when you’re a teenager, but it is so big and so new when you’re twelve, and I enjoyed trying to capture those moments on the page.


How is your upcoming book The Voting Booth different from your other work?

Stylistically, it’s a book set in one day, it’s told from dual points of view, and one of those points of view is a teenage boy, all of which was new to me. It’s technically a romcom, which I’ve also never written, and while it still deals with serious issues, I think it’s a bit more cheerful overall than most of my other YA novels.

Which one of your stories would you love to see made into a movie or series?

Truly any of them!

You’ve written stories for multiple YA anthologies. How is it different writing to fit a specific collection of stories?

I’m still surprised I’ve written so many short stories, as it’s such a difficult art form, and it takes a while to get into that rhythm. I like having a specific goal to write toward (such as writing about a witch, or a love triangle, or a story set during summer), but still having a lot of freedom to create worlds within those parameters. I still have a lot to learn with short stories, and hope to continue flexing that muscle.

Which 2020 book releases have been your favorite reads so far?

I’ve really enjoyed The Black Kids by Christina Hammonds Reed, Ways to Make Sunshine by RenĂ©e Watson, In the Role of Brie Hutchens by Nicole Melleby, Red Hood by Elana K. Arnold, and Yes No Maybe So by Becky Albertalli and Aisha Saeed.

You are also on faculty for Hamline University. What has your experience teaching been like?

It’s been wonderful! I never expected to be a teacher, so it’s challenging in some ways, but also incredibly rewarding. I love getting to work with such a brilliant, kind, and supportive faculty, and also such talented writers honing their craft and coming into their voice.

Do you have any works in progress and if so can you tell us what you’re working on?

I have several things in the works, which I’ll hopefully get to share more about soon! One project I can talk about right now is the nonfiction YA book I’m working on about the Tulsa race massacre, which was recently announced. It will be released next year, which is the 100th anniversary of the tragedy, and while the subject matter is quite harrowing, like me, a lot of Americans were never taught about this in school, so I’m grateful and honored to be able to tell this story for young readers. 


1 comment:

About Me

My photo
Lover of food and lore. I'm always looking to get lost in my next adventure between the pages. https://ko-fi.com/mswocreader