Friday, March 25, 2022

Don't Go Baking My Heart by N.G. Peltier

Welcome Back, Booklovers! Last year's Sweethand was a breath of fresh air for me and it was nice to read a Caribbean set romance not about some white people on vacation but local people. And by an author born and raised in the islands. And I'm a little biased because of my connection to Trinidad and Tobago and it's always nice to see one of your internet friends succeed. I received an arc from N.G. Peltier in exchange for review.



Devon and Reba couldn't be more opposite. Reba is younger, louder, and bolder. It's hard to miss her bright pink hair, outfits that show off her curves, and her penchant for taking selfies. She's the life of any fete. Devon is a workaholic, prefers nights in to nights out, likes classic music, and keeps to himself. With a goal of becoming partner at his architectural firm, he needs to make more an effort to participate in team building activities. The office baking competition is the perfect way to show off his commitment. The only problem is that he doesn't bake. But he's hoping his brother's girlfriend can help him. When she's busy, Reba offers her services. Not only does she plan to help him bake the perfect cake, but she also wants to help him loosen up and enjoy life.

Don't Go Baking My Heart is a fun romance, perfect for a beach read. I liked this one even more than Sweethand. Reba and Devon had a great dynamic and I also enjoyed how their family was incorporated into the mix. And I like how they get to known each other as friends first and how patient Devon is with Reba. He doesn't put any pressure on her to be his girlfriend even though he wants more from their relationship. And I liked seeing his defenses get broken down and watching him stray from his strategies and lists.

Readers also get to see more of Trinidad as the Reba and Devon visit different parts of the island. I think she incorporated some of the local sites in a way that makes sense for the local readers familiar with those places, but also explains them to readers outside of the country without coming across like a guidebook for tourists. 

1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed the review, sounds like a fun read

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Lover of food and lore. I'm always looking to get lost in my next adventure between the pages. https://ko-fi.com/mswocreader