Friday, March 4, 2022

Interview with Author N.E. Davenport

Welcome Back, Booklovers! It is Black Women's History Month and I was able to interview an up and coming Black Author who is sure to be one to watch in the science fiction and fantasy space. So if you're not familiar it's time to get familiar with N.E. Davenport.


What inspired you to write The Blood Trials? And why did you decide to write an adult fantasy?

“The Blood Trials” was inspired  by a lot of things. I started the very first draft of it shortly after the 2016 election, when I was drenched in rage. I felt compelled to channel my anger through storytelling, like I do with most of my heavier emotions and experiences. So I set out to write about a Black woman with the weight of an extraordinary legacy on her shoulders who struggles with what many Black women in real life do: having to work twice as hard to achieve their ambitions while already starting off leagues more capable than their counterparts.  But I didn’t want to just tell a story about struggle and trauma through a fantasy lens. I also wanted to create something where I got to play in the sandbox of all my greatest loves when it comes to SFF tropes and archetypes: blood magic, military settings, enemies-to-lovers, deadly forces clashing, long-standing feuds. I love any SFF book that serves me a Black woman as a hero getting to just be heroic, extraordinary, and kick butt. So more than anything, that’s what I wanted to achieve with “The Blood Trials.”

From the moment I conceived the premise of  “The Blood Trials” I wanted it to be an adult fantasy/ crossover book. I love YA with my whole heart and it’s a category I love writing in as well. But my first intro to SFF featuring Black and POC protagonists was L.A. Banks’ Vampire Huntress Legend series. They’re some of my favorite books. I read them originally in college and dozens of times since then. L.A. Banks’ books were transformative for me. They were among the first time I saw myself reflected in the pages of the genre I adore so much. They really left a mark on me and ever since then I’ve been determined to write an Adult SFF of my own with a Black heroine to just experience the pure joy of doing so. 

You have a very memorable cast of characters. What tips do you have for writing a larger cast of characters and still making everyone’s presence feel important?

First off: Thank you! Making my large cast memorable was one of the things I was super  nervous about being able to pull off when first drafting “The Blood Trials.” Something that worked for me to make everyone’s presence feel important was to make sure each character could be the protagonist of their own story and had their own story that they were the protagonist in that I at least reflected  in some capacity on the page, even if “The Blood Trials” wasn’t their story. Everybody in the cast, even the vilest ones, have their own struggles, challenges, ambitions, grudges, and unique traits. They’re all embarking on some journey specific to who they are, their history, and what they envision their future to be. 

What can we expect in Book 2 of The Blood Trials? And how was the writing process for book 2 compared to book 1?

Book 2 was a blast — and grueling— to write. Haha! I didn’t think the dreaded sequel curse that you hear so many writers talk about was a real thing until I sat down to draft Book 2 and it was brutal. But I got through it and I love the initial draft I just turned in to my editor last month. I’m super eager to receive editorial notes back and dive into polishing what’s on the horizon for Ikenna and the rest of the cast who survived Book 1’s horrors. If Book 1 was about finding your footing in the world, navigating hatred and vengeance. and snatching your seat at the table against all bigotry and odds, then Book 2 dives into a weighty and perilous discussion of what it means to hold true power. Is it truly corrupt? Can you wield absolute power without walking a line of evil? And in a world where fighting, war, and bloodshed is pretty much the status quo, how do you bring about change without adding to the carnage and decimating everything around you? On a lighter note, you can also expect more romance! 

What types of fantasy stories do you normally gravitate too?

Anything with deadly magic, lore, feuds, looming war, and romance is my kryptonite. R.F Kuang’s “The Poppy War,”  S.A. Chakraborty’s “City of Brass,” C.L.
Clark’s “The Unbroken,” and N.K. Jemisin’s “The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms” are all books that reflect the type of fantasy stories I automatically devour. 


What was the first fantasy series you read that featured a character who looked like you?

Hmmm, the very first I can remember (and this is going back to my early childhood years too) is L.A. Banks’ Vampire Huntress Legends, which I mentioned earlier! Damali Richards, the main protagonist, is a dark skin Black woman who’s the chosen savior in the ultimate fight against Heaven and Hell. A college soror owned the first book in the series, called “Minion.” I remember seeing it on a bookshelf in her dorm room and being like what is that?! I borrowed it and was immediately sucked into the world. I stayed up all night reading it and then had to promptly order every other book in the series the next morning. 


What do you think about Adult SFF Publishers embracing more novels that cross over with a YA audience? And what do you think is the difference between a YA Fantasy and an Adult Fantasy?

I really enjoy novels that crossover with YA since I enjoy reading YA SFF as much as I do Adult SFF. I’m excited that it seems quite a few Adult SFF publishers are buying and putting out more novels with crossover appeal. The difference between YA and Adult fantasy stories is a tough question to answer! For me, the distinction is in how the main character(s)’ relate to the world, function in the world, and occupy space in the world. With most YA books I read, the protagonist isn’t quite sure who they are and/or who they want to be within larger society. Part of their journey and arc is figuring it out. With most Adult books, the protagonist— even when they’re in the teen age range— begins their journey knowing firmly who they are and how they fit within larger society. They might detest it and be fighting against it, or be viciously trying to realize an ambition, but the foundation of who they are has already been laid before we ever see them on the page. Of course, there’s overlap here and there’s examples that turn my opinion on its head! 


Has your background in Public Health, Biological Sciences, and English helped you with your writing?

Yes! A great deal! My background in Biology usually shows up in my writing in the form of me leaning on concepts of gene inheritance and gene expression to explain magical abilities and inherited magic. My background in English, especially my background in playwriting, has really helped me to intrinsically know how to execute a narrative arc for a story with compelling characterization, worldbuilding, and plot points. 

How do you balance writing and raising a family? Especially since you have young children.

Ha! Literally by just tackling things one day at a time. I usually plan out a weekly writing schedule where I block off dedicated writing time for a couple hours a day. I don’t always achieve it though, so I’ve also trained myself to write amidst chaos for the times I have to write while also keeping an eye on the kids and making sure they’re alright. Most of all, I’m extremely fortunate to have a partner and other family members who are very supportive. They all pitch in to help me guard those dedicated writing hours I carve out fiercely. 

If you could travel to any country to research for a new book, where would you travel?

Ghana, for sure. There’s a story idea I’ve had for a long time that’s near and dear to me that I’d like to visit Ghana for research. 

What is your idea of the perfect day off?

Curling up with a good book and doing nothing except readying for pure pleasure all day or binge watching TV. 

Any other upcoming projects you can talk about here?

I just recently sold a YA Speculative Thriller, “Out of Body.” It’s like Black Mirror meets Freaky Friday, and I’m excited for its release in Fall 2023. The protagonist is a Black girl who's a sci-fi nerd and anime lover. She’s looking for her place in the world and perpetually tries on new identities, looking for one that feels like the core of who she is— but when she literally gets kicked out of her own body, she learns some deep truths about what fundamentally comprises her. She also has to fight to get her life back. 



Follow N.E. Davenport on Twitter, and Instagram to stay updated and buy or request The Blood Trials!

1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed the interview and Davenport's thoughts on the difference between YA and adult fantasy

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Lover of food and lore. I'm always looking to get lost in my next adventure between the pages. https://ko-fi.com/mswocreader