Wednesday, October 11, 2023

Curses & Faith by Whitney Hill

Welcome Back, Booklovers! I finally decided to continue with the Otherside Heat series after raving so much about Secrets and Truth. I often recommend that one to people who are looking for a paranormal romance that feels nostalgic but modern at the same time and doesn't take itself too seriously.


In the second book in the series, Lya and Cade have been living in bliss in their cozy St. Augustine hideaway when Cade is approached by someone from his past and Callista is ready to collect on the debt Lya owes her. This has them venturing back to the triangle where they're up against a new set of enemies.

Curses & Faith expands on the lore introduced in the first book giving more insight to not only the world of elves and vampires but also introducing sirens. Callista has Lya on a dangerous hunt for a forbidden treasure. 

While I felt Secrets and Truth didn't take itself too seriously and allowed the romance to carry it rather than the plot I found Curses & Faith was more plot heavy. It felt more urban fantasy than paranormal romance with the romantic moments taking a backseat to Lya's task of finding the treasure. So while it gripped me in the first half I started loosing some interest in the second half even though it wasn't that long in reading length. There is still plenty of angst but sometimes it felt like we were being told about Lya and Cade's relationship rather than experiencing it.

Overall it's still a really solid story that does leave you curious about where book three will take them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Lover of food and lore. I'm always looking to get lost in my next adventure between the pages. https://ko-fi.com/mswocreader