Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Fake Famous by Dana L Davis

Welcome Back, Booklovers! January is my month of  trying to get caught up. And I decided to read some of the books I've had on the backburner for a few months. I've read all of Dana L Davis' YA books so far. And for the past couple of books she's been going with the set around the music industry theme. Check out my Roman and Jewel review here and my Somebody That I Used to Know review here. And if you're interest in Fake Famous check out my review below and purchase your copy here. 

Fake Famous follows a girl named Red who ends up going viral when she's caught on camera singing in a pile of manure. People mistake her for a famous pop singer Zay Zay  Waters who ironically enough has also just dyed her locks red. Red is even more surprised when Zay Zay shows up at the farm offering to pay her to be her stand-in for a week while she's off on a special mission. With Red's family farm struggling she agrees to take the cash, gets her celebrity makeover, and heads to Los Angeles. 

The concept of a regular girl switching places with a wealthier person is nothing new but it's always fun. And what really carried this story is what Dana L Davis always does so well and that's the banter between characters. Red and her love interest Koi have an easy chemistry that carried throughout the book. And Red is a genuinely sweet girl who puts her family and their best interest first all the time.

It was very awkward  and confusing seeing the mentions of the main character wanting to visit Israel and film a movie in Israel as if it's some beautiful vacation destination. Especially since this book was written during the past year when we've seen Israel constantly in the news. That was a choice!A choice that made no sense and leaves me with questions for everyone involved with this book. And it was the beginning of things that took me out of an otherwise mostly enjoyable story by the end. 

The ending did come off a little Disney Channel movie and the last few chapters while predictable didn't have good buildup for me. We saw so little interest in what she was actually interested in outside of her family's farm that it didn't quite fit. I feel this could've still had a happy ending without the fairytaleesque path it went down. But overall this book will be fun for the younger YA audience who is looking for a quick read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Lover of food and lore. I'm always looking to get lost in my next adventure between the pages. https://ko-fi.com/mswocreader