Friday, January 1, 2021

Roman and Jewel by Dana L Davis

 

Welcome Back Booklovers! I decided to end the year with a 2021 release. I've been a fan of Dana L. Davis since I saw her on Franklin & Bash. So far I've read her two previous YA books and enjoyed them so I wanted to read this one since all her books are different. So thank you once again Inkyard Press for giving me the opportunity to read another early edition of Dana L Davis' book.



Roman and Jewel is about to be the hottest new show on Broadway and Jerzie had the audition of a lifetime for the role of Jewel. Unfortunately the powers that be think a big name is needed to sell the show and since they've already found a newcomer for the role of Roman they can't have one for Jewel too. So they've cast Cinny, R&B diva extraordinaire. And even though Jerzie is a fan she's definitely jealous. Music is her whole life and she's a musical theatre geek. But maybe being the standby won't be so bad. Plus the leading man Zeppelin just might be the guy of her dreams or her reincarnated love from the past? 


This story leans heavy on the love at first sight so if insta-love is something you loathe then you might want to pick up something else. From the moment Jerzie and Zeppelin meet they feel sparks between them. And it's first love so at times it has that us against the world vibe.

I liked how loving and supportive Jerzie's family was of her dream. Her relationship with her aunt was very sweet and her aunt was a good sounding board for her since her best friend was busy with summer sports.

You can tell Ms. Davis did her research when it came to Broadway because this book is splashed with references to popular shows  and described behind the scenes in a way you can clearly picture it. 

There's also a lot of pop culture references teen readers will enjoy. Sometimes I will pick up a YA contemporary and wonder if the teens will relate to it or not. This one truly felt like it was written for them. 

This story played out a little different than I expected. I thought per the synopsis there would be a bigger conflict over who plays Jewel. It made me think this would be another tale of a girl getting the chance to be famous and it going to her head. And that isn't the direction it takes at all.

Roman and Jewel reads like a teen rom com and is a light and easy to read book to get lost in for a few days. It's much different in tone than the heavier nature of Dana L Davis' previous stories but still as enjoyable.

2 comments:

About Me

My photo
Lover of food and lore. I'm always looking to get lost in my next adventure between the pages. https://ko-fi.com/mswocreader