Friday, February 7, 2020

Daughters of Nri by Reni K Amayo



I finally got around to reading this story even though it's been sitting on my Kindle since the release date back in October. I just couldn't resist picking up this story after seeing such a striking cover. I decided to do something different for once an added Whispersync to my copy so I could switch between listening to the audiobook and reading the words on my Kindle app. The actress, Weruche Opia who narrators the audiobook has a great voice which makes for a smooth listening experience.


The story is set in ancient Nigeria and switches back and forth between Naala and Sinai, twins separated at birth who are unaware of each other's existence. Twins were banned in their kingdom after an Oracle informed the great ruler of the kingdom, The Eze that twins would be born and bring an end to his reign. To save them from death the girls were split and raised in different parts of the kingdom. Naala grew up in a quiet village with her grandmother while Sinai grew up in a palace in the city of Nri believing she was illegitimate royalty. 

Like many YA fantasies there was a lot of backstory and set up since this is the first in the series. It almost felt like two different stories at times as it alternated between Naala and Sinai on their paths of discovery. After her village is left in shambles by an attack she tried to help prevent Naala barely escapes with her life and ends up joining a group of survivors from different villages in a rebellion against the Eze. Sinai survives a deadly fall and is brought to the palace chef who helps her recover and she begins to learn the truth about who she is.

I must admit I wanted a little bit more action. I kept waiting for a climax that never came. The Eze also wasn't a strong or entertaining villain. He was just your standard big bad who believes his way is the right way. He even had a lengthy monologue that just felt like a typical villain speech.

 And the story while beautifully written and having done a great job incorporating Igbo language just didn't really hook me until the second half. I was more invested in the second half when they were putting their plan to overthrow the Eze and avenge their people into action. The magic also needed to be expanded on because the magic system wasn't very clear and the use of magic was a little too convenient.  Overall this story really felt like a set up for book 2. You get the backstory of the characters that will play a significant part in the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Lover of food and lore. I'm always looking to get lost in my next adventure between the pages. https://ko-fi.com/mswocreader