Monday, August 10, 2020

Tips to Get Over a Reading Slump

 

Welcome Back Booklovers!

Many of us are still working from home and some of you are still under quarantine. I know it's tough keeping your focus on anything lately. I find right now it's very easy to fall into a reading slump. So here are my tips for how to avoid it.


1. Put DOWN that book that's boring you! Life is too short to read boring books. And unless you're like me and doing reviews on books I say don't be afraid to DNF! I damn near went into a reading slump multiple times this year trying to struggle through a slow paced book where the plot went nowhere.

2. Change Genres! I don't know about you but if I read too many books from the same genre back to back I start to get bored because the books start feelings alike. Changing categories might help too. If you usually read YA in your favorite genre maybe you should try reading adult or middle grade instead. 

3. Do a Buddy Read! Doesn't it just make the reading experience much better when you have someone to gush or rant with about what your reading? Try reading with a friend whether it's a friend you meet online or one of you're close friends from your offline life.

4. Read a novella! If your favorite genre has novellas it might benefit you to read something shorter. If you are subscribed I suggest you search Kindle Unlimited for 90-Minute Literature & Fiction Short Reads if you don't mind e-reading. Even if you don't have Kindle Unlimited they're usually pretty cheap in price.

5. Listen to an audiobook. It takes awhile to get used to and the right genre and narrator but listening to audiobooks can be very enjoyable. For me unfortunately I can't really multi-task too much and pay attention so I prefer to just lay back and listen.




6. Stop reading hyped books! Ever pick up that book that everyone is talking about only for it to be a disappointment? Sometimes we need to disregard the hyped new releases and pick up something from the backlist.

2 comments:

  1. thistle.verse@gmail.comAugust 11, 2020 at 8:52 PM

    The hyped books and refusing to DNF tend to send me into a slump. Useful suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Sometimes you just have to let a book go.

      Delete

About Me

My photo
Lover of food and lore. I'm always looking to get lost in my next adventure between the pages. https://ko-fi.com/mswocreader