Thursday, August 6, 2020

Interview with Author Kereen Getten


Welcome Back Booklovers!

As always I try to put some new books on your radar and introduce you to some Black authors who deserve attention. And I love supporting my fellow West Indians across the diaspora. Today's author is Jamaican born debut author Kereen Getten whose middle grade book When Life Gives You Mangos, got quite a lot of buzz at the Bologna Children’s Book Fair in 2019. A six figure deal for the US rights and a 4 way auction for the UK and Commonwealth rights. 



What was it like growing up in Jamaica and then moving to the United Kingdom? Was there a bit of a culture shock?


I was quite a shy child, but what I remember of Jamaica was mostly on the hill we lived that overlooked our fishing town and had a beautiful view of the sea. We didn't venture down from that hill much. I remember spending a lot of time listening to adults gossip on the veranda, playing ring games and walking to school with my sister. It was a small and close knit community. A lot of them were family and like family, sometimes we got on, sometimes we didn’t. I came to England when I was seven years old and it was a definite culture shock. The houses, the people, the weather, the food! It all took some time to get used to. But the biggest shock was realizing the colour of my skin was going to be an issue, and it was the first time I experienced racism. It was also the first time I experienced snow and tried to eat it!


What is your favorite Jamaican dish?


Curry goat and white rice. I love fried dumplings too. I would have that with any meal if I could!


What inspired you to write When Life Gives You Mangos? And why was it important to write a middle grade story specifically? 


I wanted to write a story about friendship and how important it can be to anyone but especially at that age. I also wanted to write a love letter to my home town in Jamaica. I didn’t have any stories about people that looked like me growing up and I really wanted our stories to be told alongside everyone else's.

There was no great decision to make it MG. It just happened that way.


What was the biggest challenge while writing your debut novel?


My biggest challenge was finding the story. I knew I wanted to write about friendships and I knew I wanted to write about Jamaica, but it took me some time and lots of writing and rewriting to figure out what that story would be.


As a Black writer have you ever felt a push to write a certain way?


I have been quite lucky to find people in the industry that have supported my story and the way I tell it. But there were of course times when I had to explain that certain things in my story were normal for my culture even though it wasn’t for others and that was frustrating at times.


Have you found your own community of authors online? 

I am not good at talking online. Social media and I have a love-hate relationship, but I have always had a tiny group of writer friends I could go to. More recently I have been finding authors from the Caribbean and it has enriched my online experience as they have been so supportive.


Are there any Caribbean authors you recommend?

Yes, Shakirah Bourne has a MG book coming out in 2021 called Me Against The Sea and Callie Browning has a book out now called The Girl With The Hazel Eyes.


What are your favorite genres to read and write?

I love reading thrillers and Mysteries and I guess that seems to seep into my writing too.


Other than your own is there a book you would love to see adapted to a movie?

Yes, Dread Nation by Justina Ireland. When I read it I imagined it as a movie.


How has it been promoting your book during a pandemic? Have you been invited to any virtual events?

It’s my first book so I don’t know any different. I imagine most of it would be online anyway with or without Covid, but also bookstores and publishing have really adapted with virtual events.

I do have a few virtual events coming up. Most have not been confirmed yet, but I am doing a workshop in September with WOWCon Saturday September 26th 9pm (GMT) on finding an authentic child-like voice for your character.


Are you working on any new projects at the moment?

I have just finished an historical project (also MG) and I am currently writing my second contemporary Jamaica based MG book.



Follow Kereen Getten on Twitter @kereengetten

1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed the interview. Cover for this book is beautiful. Me Against the Sea sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Lover of food and lore. I'm always looking to get lost in my next adventure between the pages. https://ko-fi.com/mswocreader