Thursday, October 29, 2020

Intercepted by Alexa Martin

 

Welcome Back, Booklovers! This multicultural romance read has been on my TBR for 2 years and has been sitting on my Kindle for over a year. It ended up being exactly what I needed after a week where I DNFd 2 books. I partially listened on audiobook and though January LaVoy was spot on and very easy to listen to and I finished the book over the course of two days.

Overuse of hashtags aside, I really enjoyed Marlee's voice.  She's witty and sarcastic and I love how she's not one for confrontation but will let it rip when necessary. Her sharp tongue was one of the things I enjoyed about this story. 

If those housewives shows are your guilty pleasure then you'll really enjoy this look into the world of football wives and girlfriends. I was reminded watching early seasons of The Game except Marlee is more seasoned than girl Melanie. The Lady Mustangs are exactly what comes to mind when you think of bitchy wags who've centered their lives around their husband's careers. They hold meetings as an excuse to drink ample amounts of wine, they all visit the same surgeon, they avoid carbs like the plague, and turn their noses up on the ringless girlfriends like Marlee.

Marlee is a biracial woman in her late 20s who has a bit of a wakeup call after finally being fed up enough with her cheating football player boyfriend to leave him for good. And once she decides to leave she and takes the Prius he gifted her away she realizes she can no longer live on her freelance gigs alone. So she gets a job working at a restaurant, rents a small apartment, and starts taking public transportation.

And just while she's ending one relationship an old fling comes back into her life in the form of quarterback Gavin Pope. Gavin Pope is a genuine nice guy often coming to Marlee's rescue and soon neither can deny the attraction between them. And the chemistry was really there between them.

And there was plenty of fast paced drama to keep me entertained throughout.

Now 50 Cent and Lala Anthony are supposed to be turning this into a series with Lala playing the lead and they need to pass the role of Marlee to someone else cuz Lala is too old to pass for 20 and her immaturity and youth is what helps make the story. She's an adult woman finally coming into her own after years of being reliant on a man.


1 comment:

About Me

My photo
Lover of food and lore. I'm always looking to get lost in my next adventure between the pages. https://ko-fi.com/mswocreader