Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Ring Shout by P Djeli Clark

 

Welcome Back Booklovers! So I'm back with a dark fantasy review. I heard so many good things about this book and I've seen a lot of skepticism due to the content so I was happy that RB Media and Netgalley granted me the opportunity to listen to the audiobook. Plus P. Djèlí Clark is a gifted Caribbean-American writer.

I've spoken out before in a previous review for a fantasy set during the Jim Crow era but I want to reiterate it here that we shouldn't let uncomfortable topics stop us from reading a story. And if people can praise Lovecraft Country which was written by a white man they can certainly support a Black man writing a fantasy in the same vein. 

Ring Shout is set in 1922 Macon, Georgia where it reimagines the Ku Kluxes as literal white-boned demons. The story opens up with Maryse, Sadie and Chef taking matters into their own hands by setting a trap for these monsters with commentary of how bold and out in the open they are now. 

The audiobook is an experience which involves different accents and singing which really help give you a visual of each scene. The characters speak in dialect which is not for everyone but was key to this story. It was so easy to get lost in this tale. 

The main heroine Maryse is a whiskey bootlegging, magic sword wielding, monster hunter! Her sword has the power of the enslaved ancestors. There's a lot of action and gory violence in here so be prepared.

Clark blends horror, satire, and fantasy with American history, African folklore, Caribbean heritage,  and Gullah heritage seamlessly. Horror and fantasy lovers will enjoy this fast paced novella with sadly very relevant commentary about the world we live in today. 


1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed the review. This was a great novella. I kinda want to listen to the audiobook to hear all the dialects, especially if the narrator did a good job.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Lover of food and lore. I'm always looking to get lost in my next adventure between the pages. https://ko-fi.com/mswocreader