Wednesday, January 27, 2021

The Obsession by Jesse Q. Sutanto


Welcome Back, Booklovers! I heard about The Obsession from the author herself and since I haven't read any YA thrillers I decided to try this one. Thank you Sourcebooks Fire for giving me the opportunity to read this one early.


So The Obsession is a dual POV story about a creep named Logan who becomes obsessed with Delilah who suffers from trauma caused by an abusive family situation. The two both attend the same elite North California private school and as Logan's obsession with Delilah grows he uncovers evidence that she killed her almost stepfather, an abuse copy and uses that to draw her closer. Delilah is tired of being the victim to controlling men and must find a way out.

I was struggling to get into this one at first. I've never watched the popular series You so I'm not used to this type of storytelling and my sister had to fill me in. I felt we were too much in Logan's head from the beginning with his chapters. And Logan's head was a very disturbing place. And there was never any nuance to him as a villain. I would've liked it better had he also not showed his hand so early to Delilah. He reveals himself and starts blackmailing her well before the 50% mark. We didn't get to see her getting to know him in a way she could trust him. She knew about his former obsession  to a girl Sophie, whom she resembles very early on. 

This story is very fast paced to the point where I initially read past hints about a certain plot point. And I call it a plot point because not much was done with it and it wasn't enough to drive the story. But at the same time it was hard to get through Logan's chapters. Delilah was better developed and her chapters were stronger but I wasn't enthralled. And the ending was so abrupt. I wish it would've gone darker and deeper.


1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed the review. Sounds like the execution was lacking on that one.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Lover of food and lore. I'm always looking to get lost in my next adventure between the pages. https://ko-fi.com/mswocreader