Monday, September 27, 2021

Interview with Sarah Raughley

 

Welcome Back, Booklovers! As always I'm coming at you with another great interview. This author is not new to the game, having already published an action packed YA trilogy called the Effigies Trilogy. She's back with her latest release The Bones of Ruin which is a departure from her previous work.


What inspired you to write The Bones of Ruin? And did you do any kind of research while writing it?

I love stories set in 19th century England like Sherlock Holmes and Penny Dreadful. And I really wanted to write a story this time from the perspective of a Black woman living in England in the Victorian Era. Her experiences would be really different, I assumed, than your usual protagonist, so I really wanted to explore that. Something gothic, fantastical, but still gesturing at some of the realities of colonialism and imperialism, which really marked this era.


How has the experience with your sophomore series been different from The Effigies series?


It’s a historical fantasy so it definitely requires a lot more careful research! There are a lot of historical Easter Eggs that some might not even notice, but I thought it would be fun for history buffs to spot. Now that I have one series under my belt, I know that I can write another. I also know that just finishing a project is a victory in itself. And that writing for yourself trumps the highs and lows of reading reviews.



What’s the hardest part about writing a fantasy story?


Keeping all the powers straight! I have a ‘story bible’ but it can still be tricky! Also, if you have an elaborate fantasy world, you’ll want to make sure to communicate it well to the audience and keep the internal logic of the story consistent. This requires keeping track of a lot of moving elements.



Do you still feel as a Nigerian-Canadian author there is a pressure to write a fantasy story that takes inspiration from African folklore?


Yes, I think there are many pressures Black and African writers undergo in the publishing industry. There are still expectations from the industry and sometimes I feel from the readers as well. They may see a book about an African main character and expect certain book elements or a certain voice because they’ve been taught to expect these things, or they have a stereotypical framework of what a book about an African girl should be and sound like. It can be difficult to break through the perceptions of others but again, write for yourself first.



You have a love of manga and comic books. Could you ever see yourself writing a graphic novel?


YES! I’m doing a lot of research on this. I’m a hugely visual writer because of my love of this media, so it’s something that feels natural to me. One day, I’d love for you guys to meet more of the characters in my head!



If you could travel anywhere in the world to research and write for a year, where would you travel?


I’d love to go to Japan again. I went there a couple years back and it was so fun. I don’t know if I would research for a story necessarily. I’d just love to be there again with enough time to really explore, have fun and meet up with other writers.




If you were writing your memoir what would the title be?  

Stop Emailing Me: A Memoir 


What else do you enjoy outside of writing?

I love sleeping, eating, hmm...is that it? Ha, usually I like listening to music. I’m listening to a lot of old R&B right now. Plus, I’m a huge K-POP fan!


What is your comfort food of choice?

Cupcakes! I haven’t had any in a long time though. Trying to cut down!


Where do you see yourself as a writer in the next five years?

In five years, I would love to have a wiki page on one of my books. It’s a true dream! Like, for fans to actually gather what information they can from a story you wrote and organize it as a wikipedia....amazing! The true geek marker of success. 


Is there anything you’re working on now that you’re able to talk about?

I alluded to it before, but I’d love to explore all kinds of markets and media. All you need is a good idea and the will to finish a project. And you need to give yourself the time and grace to get it done! For me, as well as finishing The Bones of Ruin trilogy, I just want to get my stories out there. And when I do, I hope you guys will enjoy them!




Follow her on Twitter @s_raughley

1 comment:

  1. Lol @ the proposed memoir title. Enjoyed the interview.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Lover of food and lore. I'm always looking to get lost in my next adventure between the pages. https://ko-fi.com/mswocreader