Monday, January 6, 2020

Barbecue, Bourbon and Bullets: A HoneyBun Shop Mystery by M.E. Harmon



It was a cozy mystery weekend for me and Barbecue, Bourbon and Bullets: A HoneyBun Shop Mystery was a nice little break between my longer, heavier reads. If you're not sure if the cozy mystery genre is for you I suggest checking out the short reads from the Honeybun Shop Mysteries which are all free with Kindle Unlimited. At only 52 pages this is a story you can enjoy on your break. And our heroine and her potential love interest are both black in a genre full of bland white leads.



In this story the mystery takes place at a new restaurant in NYC known for it's BBQ and bourbon.  And the descriptions of the food are finger lickin good! Our lead Ali is excited when the handsome Detective Avery Hamilton invites her out to eat when close friends cancel on him at the last minute.  But just as Ali is finishing up her meal a murder happens. But where is the gun? And just her luck the police are extra busy tonight thanks to protests going on. They may just be stuck in the restaurant all night. Though the very cute Detective Hamilton doesn't want her to get involved Ali can't help but want to solve the case. And with nowhere to escape in this case everyone is a suspect until proven otherwise. Luckily growing up on a commune and spying on the elders has made Ali good at eavesdropping and helped her pick up a few other skills.

This mystery was concise and to the point. Just enough information to hook you without any unnecessary filler. I really feel like despite the briefness of the story I got to know little things about Ali that shaped her personality.


2 comments:

  1. Excellent review, I have been meaning to read this series for a while. I will definitely pick it up now. Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You! I'll be doing more mystery book reviews in the future.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Lover of food and lore. I'm always looking to get lost in my next adventure between the pages. https://ko-fi.com/mswocreader