Monday, January 6, 2020

Death in D Minor by Alexia Gordon



It's been a few months since I've read a cozy mystery and this one has been sitting on my Kindle for awhile. This is the 2nd book in the Gethsemane Brown Mystery series. I've read every other book in the Gethsemane Brown series except for the one being released this year and while you don't necessarily have to read them in order they're much easier to follow if you do. For example Book 3 ties up some loose ends from Book 1 and 2.


At one point Kindle gave me a free Audible audio upgrade with this book during an update. This was my first audiobook experience. And I HATED the narrator. She made it so hard to get into this story and she read Gethsemane's parts in the most annoying drawl. Note to self: Stay away from the audiobooks for this series since it seems this narrator does all of them. I'll have to go read it on mine own one day to see if my opinion of this story changes.

Gethsemane is back in this sequel to Murder in G Major. And this time she's no longer the only black person in town since her brother-in-law comes to visit. It was nice to see her interact with someone who knows her well. I appreciate all the mentions of African American history throughout the book. Her brother-in-law works for an art museum and gets accused of forgery of priceless embroidery. A murder ensues and this amateur detective needs to solve the case.

At the same time Eamon, the ghost we grew fond of in the first book has disappeared and Gethsemane must try and bring him back before his nephew Billy sells Carraigfaire Cottage. One of the best things about this series is the banter between Gethsemane and Eamon which this story severely lacked.

One of my critiques of this series is that for a small town each book always has a large cast. Sometimes it's hard to keep track of everyone involved. There were many characters in this story to keep track of and since it was winter break the cast from the school was noticeably absent. We also didn't get as much of Gethsemane's musical side like I would've preferred. I just wasn't as invested in the mystery here as I was the other books in the series.The cliffhanger at the end does a good job of setting you up for the 3rd book.

Though Death in D Minor was my least favorite story in the series I still advise you to check out this series as Gethsemane Brown is the fresh type of heroine cozy mysteries usually lack. It's nice to read a cozy mystery with a smart, talented woman and no romance overshadowing the mystery at hand.


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Lover of food and lore. I'm always looking to get lost in my next adventure between the pages. https://ko-fi.com/mswocreader