Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Interview with Author Kristina Forest


Welcome Back, Booklovers,

I've spoke about this author's debut I Wanna Be Where You Are many times before. If you're looking for an author who writes Black teen romance get familiar with her. I could easily see one her stories becoming a Netflix rom com in the future. And pre-order or library request her book. I'm including the information for her pre-order campaign. She has the cutest swag. And follow her @kristinaforest on Twitter.


How different was the experience of writing your sophomore novel from writing your debut?

Writing Now That I’ve Found You was much more difficult than writing I Wanna Be Where You Are. This was mostly due to timing. I wrote IWBWYA under a self imposed deadline because I didn’t have an agent, so I could set my own schedule. I took about 10 months writing and revising that book before I started querying. The large majority of Now That I’ve Found You was written in two to three months, and I was drafting that novel while traveling to promote IWBWYA. It was a lot. There were so many times when I thought I just wouldn’t be able to finish the book, but here we are.

What was the inspiration for Now That I’ve Found You?

My best story ideas always come to me while I’m dreaming or while I’m in the shower. NTIFY came to me while I was washing my hair. I pictured a boy and girl standing in front of a huge mansion. I knew that neither of them lived there, but the girl had a relation to the owner of the mansion. From the way the boy and girl looked at each other, I knew they shared a secret. I kind of thought, Hmm. What’s their story? I went to work on figuring that out. Months later I handed in the first draft for what would be my second book.

I’ve also always been fascinated with old Hollywood, particularly Black actors and actresses in old Hollywood like Dorothy Dandridge, and later Sidney Poitier, Diahann Carroll and Lena Horne.



Since your book is set in NYC what are your favorite spots around the city?

I love, love, love Brooklyn. It is the best borough! So Brooklyn overall is one of my favorite spots. But I also love the West Village. I love the Jefferson Market Library on 10th street in Manhattan, and I love Union Square. So many places.


You make it a priority to showcase Black teens in loving relationships. Why is writing Black love a priority for you? And has it been a challenge to push these stories?

I’m constantly trying to write the books I wish I had as a young Black teenager. There was a time in the 90s and early 2000s when we had such great representation in movies (Love Jones, Love and Basketball, Brown Sugar), but I never saw this in the books I was reading. Almost all of YA romance was written by white authors with white characters. It's just unrealistic to our world. Black teens need to see themselves reflected in romance literature too.  

It has been a bit challenging to push these stories. People don’t always check their biases before reading my books, and Black authors are just held to a different standard, regardless of what genre we write.


What are your favorite genres to read and write?

Romance! YA or Adult, although for the past few years I’ve definitely read more adult romance than YA. I’m currently working on another YA romance, but I have some adult romance ideas too, so we’ll see.





Would you ever tackle writing romance for adults?

Absolutely.


Do you still work full time in addition to writing?

I do. It took me a while to find a good balance. But since I’ve been working from home for my full time job, it’s been easier to work and write. I write about 4 days a week for 2 to 3 hours each session.


Are you working on anything new?

Yes! Hopefully I’ll be able to tell everyone about it soon.

Are there any upcoming book releases that you’re excited about?

Yes, always! Last Tuesday, Liara Tamani’s ALL THE THINGS WE NEVER KNEW published, and I’m still waiting for my preorder to get here. I might need to check the tracking on that.

I’m also excited for THE VOTING BOOTH by Brandy Colbert, TAKE A HINT, DANI BROWN by Talia Hibbert, and A DUKE, A LADY AND A BABY by Vanessa Riley.  


Pre-order Campaign


2 comments:

  1. Another well-posed interview! Would you happen to know the artist behind the artwork for the press, cover, and page marker etc?

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Lover of food and lore. I'm always looking to get lost in my next adventure between the pages. https://ko-fi.com/mswocreader