Sunday, December 6, 2020

Vanity, Vengeance & a Weekend in Vegas by Kyra Davis

 

Welcome Back, Booklovers! The Sophie Katz mysteries were the books that got me into reading mystery series. I first came across them at my library years ago and it was the first time I came across a biracial heroine in a book. And it was the first series I picked up outside of teen lit at a time where there were less faces of color on the bookshelves. So of course I wanted to complete the series and jump back into this world. Because it's mystery this is a series that you don't have to read in order to understand what's going on. And while it occasionally references things that happen in past books there's nothing really spoilerish. 



Sophie Katz is a mystery author who a few times has ended up involved in some murder mysteries of her own. The book kicks off with an old foe calling from prison to inform her that Anatoly, her boyfriend of six years has a wife. While he claims he married for a green card he also conveniently did tell her that his wife is the daughter of a Russian mafia boss. After ending the relationship Sophia is in need of a pick me up and her friends decided to take her to a sex toy convention in Vegas for the weekend.

Part romance, part mystery and plenty of humor this is a fun read. Sophie has a crazy group of people around her between her somewhat prudish sister Leah, her fabulous friend Marcus,  firecracker Dena, and hopeless romantic Mary Ann. 

And Sophie is still an amateur sleuth in every sense of the word. Don't expect a highly skilled detective because she makes impulsive decisions with little thought like her bad attempt at breaking into a suspicious fan's house. Or forgetting to grab her gun before running after known criminals. One of my pet peeves about these amateur sleuth mysteries is that the heroine is much smarter than the police. She's not better than the professionals though she holds her own in her own bumbling way.

I listened to parts of this on audiobook in between reading the ebook and it kept me entertained for the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Lover of food and lore. I'm always looking to get lost in my next adventure between the pages. https://ko-fi.com/mswocreader