Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Forgotten Gems of 2020

 

I read over 100 books this year which is something I'm very proud of. But when you read so many books during the year some leave an impression on you more than others. That doesn't mean the rest were bad books. Just not my top reads. So I present to you my forgotten gems of 2020.


Never Look Back by Lilliam Rivera was a retelling of  Orpheus and Eurydice and a great blend of magical realism that captured the spirit of the Bronx through two Afro-Latinx teens. 




All the Things We Never Knew by Liara Tamani is a solid Black YA romance in the vein of Love & Basketball. At first I thought this would just be about instant love but it ended up being so much more.



A Song of Wraiths and Ruin by Roseanne Brown was everything I wanted in Children of Blood and Bone but did not get. It's a lush African inspired fantasy that blended different cultures and civilizations. The magic system was intriguing without being overly vague.




The Voting Booth by Brandy Colbert was a cute story about two teens and the importance of casting your vote. It came just in time for this year's election. One of the things I liked most about it was that it truly felt like a book for teens.





Something About You by Bridget Anderson is a sweet summer romance set on an organic farm in Kentucky. Perfect if you like small town romance.





Mirage by Somaiya Daud had beautiful writing and great narration for the audiobook and I didn't want to stop listening.  It was compelling and fast paced.





The Record Keeper by Agnes Gomillan is a compelling dystopian set in a post World War III society.




Hide and Seeker by Daka Hermon gives the classic children's game a scary twist. If  you break the rules during the game it opens up a gateway to a nightmarish world. 




Ghost Squad by Claribel Ortega is the perfect Halloween read for kids. It has just the right amount of family and magic.



1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed the post. I guess I won't know the extent of Hide and Seeker's popularity because I don't know many tweens, but it's been nice to see other amateur reviewers really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Lover of food and lore. I'm always looking to get lost in my next adventure between the pages. https://ko-fi.com/mswocreader