Sunday, December 13, 2020

Best Books I've Read in 2020

 

Welcome Back, Booklovers! With the year coming to an end I've been reflecting on the books that have resonated with me this year in both good and bad ways.  2020 was my best reading year ever. Though I set a reading goal of 60 books I surpassed that and will probably be ending the year on 100 books read. So in no particular order these are my top reads of 2020.


I'm not usually a fan of memoirs but as a lover of her music and someone who has always been curious about her life I couldn't wait to read The Meaning of Mariah Carey. And the diva did not disappoint.  The audiobook is a whole experience and I highly recommend getting that version. I was also fortunate enough to be sent a print version from Henry Holt and it has beautiful pictures of Mariah, family, and friends. I'll just link my in depth review of the memoir here.


\


I've spoken on it before but I'd like to reiterate that 2020 has caused me to also stop and think about how I view books. I've been cautiously trying not to label Black books "struggle" books. And I've learned not to just write off a narrative automatically because I see the words: klan, slavery, racism, Jim Crow, segregation, etc in the book. Daughters of Jubilation is a YA historical fantasy set during the Jim Crow era that shows us that despite our pain we as we as Black people always shine. Our lives don't center around struggle and in between our hardships we experience joy. This book has a sweet Black romance amid Motown summer vibes and new discoveries. Check out my full review here.





The Year of the Witching is a fun and atmospheric read about a town with a religion similar to Christianity but worse. I often recommend it to people who are making the transition from YA fantasy to adult fantasy because it doesn't quite fit neatly into either age category. It drew me in right from the start and quickly became one of this year's most memorable reads. You can read my full review here.





I've been reading more Black romance this year and been shouting about how we need more Black romance from traditional publishers. Now That I've Found You is such an underrated YA romance. I often hear people say they want books about Black joy. Then read and support this one?  It's a super sweet rom com featuring two Black artists pursuing their dreams in entertainment set in NYC. You can check out in depth review here.




There's a reason Clap When You Land is a bestseller. This beautiful story set in verse really touched my heart. I even had my non reader friends read it because it was so poignant. I've read three of Elizabeth Acevedo's books this year and this by far is her best one yet. She seamlessly switches between the concrete jungle of NYC to the campo of the Dominican Republic in this story that explores the loss two sisters feel and the journey towards each other. You can check out my review here





I find people either really like this book or hate. There's no in between for Catherine House: A Novel. If you want a book that's very plot driven and is about solving the mystery of this strange school then you will be disappointed. If you're looking for an atmospheric book that gives commentary on the promises universities make us and how we idolize our time there then this is a read for you. 




The Secret Lives of Church Ladies is a great one especially if you identify as a Christian woman. I feel like it really explores place within the church, hypocrisy, sexuality, etc. One of the few anthologies I will recommend to people. 






Lastly Raybearer was a fantasy I adored. After a series of dud reads it was the perfect pick me. I love that the magic system isn't overly complicated and that the story focuses on friendship over romance. The pacing was also perfect and I never felt the urge to skip pages or found myself getting bored.




1 comment:

About Me

My photo
Lover of food and lore. I'm always looking to get lost in my next adventure between the pages. https://ko-fi.com/mswocreader