Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Hollywood Homicide by Kellye Garrett

 

Welcome Back Booklovers! So I finally decided to do a reread of a book I haven't reread in awhile. I really enjoyed Hollywood Homicide during my initial read of it back in 2017.  And even though this was a reread I couldn't remember who the killer was so it was almost like I was following along with the journey anew.  I've recommended this book multiple times and I even interviewed Kellye Garrett on here last year. 

Dayna Anderson is a broke retired actress struggling to find any kind of job to make ends me. She had one hit series of commercials for a fast food chain and not a lot since. Her father calls her and lets her know that her parents are behind their house payments. Even though she barely has any money she's determined to get the money for them even though he savings is wiped out, she's living in a closet, and she's scraping together gas money. She sees a billboard offering a big reward for tips that lead to an arrest in the case of a hit and run and she decides that's her key to saving her parents house. Dayna vaguely remembers passing near the scene on a night out and seeing a car speeding away so she starts her search for clues by contacting her friend Omari who she's been avoiding since that night. This leads her to a full on investigation as her friends Emme and Sienna worry about both her safety and sanity. 

I really enjoyed Dayna. This was a fun story that took me back to my high school days when Kyra Davis's Sophie Katz Murder Mystery books introduced me to amateur sleuth stories. Hollywood as a back drop is fresh and Kellye uses her background writing for television to write a character believable as a former actress. Dayna has unique best friends which made for a solid supporting cast. And I still laughed at Dayna's interactions with the woman who ran the tip hotline. 

Unlike in many amateur sleuth stories Dayna has no clue what she's doing and often fumbles which leads to crazy situations. This is a fast paced read with multiple red herrings that serves as a great introduction if you like contemporary stories but want to figure out if mystery is your thing. Or if you just want a light hearted mystery in the vein of a cozy but without the small town setting and less sanitized language. There's even a touch of romance as Dayna tries to figure out her complicated love life.

This book is currently out of print however you can still find used copies and the audiobook available for purchase. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Lover of food and lore. I'm always looking to get lost in my next adventure between the pages. https://ko-fi.com/mswocreader