Monday, August 23, 2021

Interview with Synithia Williams

 

Welcome Back, Booklovers! I'm back with another author interview. If you've been following me for awhile you know I've been stanning the Jackson Falls series by Synithia William. It's a top recommendation for me when people ask for a good Black romance series. And I'm not someone who usually reads every romance in a series. So I knew I needed to get Synithia on here for an interview.


How did you get your start as an author?

I was first published in 2012, but I actively chose to pursue my dream of being a published writer in 2010. After a co-worker made a major life decision I realized if I wanted to write and publish a book I had to be willing to dedicate time and energy toward it. So, that’s what I did. I finished one of the three manuscripts I’d been playing around with, researched options for publishing and took the necessary steps.


What is the hardest part of the publishing process for you?

Starting a new book is always hard. Everytime I start I wonder how I completed a book previously. I saw someone say online “writing is hard because you want it to be good”. I realized that’s exactly why I struggle with each manuscript. I want it to be good, and I work hard to try and meet my reader’s expectations. 


Do you have a favorite book out of all the books you’ve written?

I have a few books that I enjoyed writing and are probably my favorites. A Heart to Heal, Guarding His Heart, Just My Type, and Careless Whispers are the ones that come to mind.


How did you find your writing group?

My first writing group were authors who all started out at the imprint Crimson Romance. Although Crimson Romance no longer exists, I still keep in touch with many of those original authors. My writer friends at Crimson lead me to other authors. I’ve mostly met people online and later in person. My online writer friends led me to a retreat in Destin Florida where I met my current writing crew, the ladies who are so supportive and amazing, the Destin Divas.


Are there any stories you would like to see more of on shelves?

I love fantasy and paranormal romances. I’d love more of them with adult Black characters. I know they are out there, but I'm greedy and will always want more. Especially space operas. Give me Black adults in space, please! Lol!


What can you tell us about Foolish Hearts?

Foolish Hearts is the last installment of my Jackson Falls Series. For those who read the first book Forbidden Promises you may have noticed the hints about the couple in Foolish Hearts. It’s a second chance romance (one of my favorite tropes). Ashiya and Russell dated previously, but Ashiya’s heart was elsewhere. She broke his heart and now they have to work together to help Ashiya claim her inheritance and forge a partnership with her family’s larger corporation. Sparks fly and feelings are tested as these two determine if they can make a relationship work this time around.


What does Spicy Southern Romance mean to you?

When I first started writing I wanted more books set in the South. I love New York, LA, and Texas, but there is a lot of sexiness in the Southeastern states. Lol. Most of my books are set in a southern location. Even if they’re somewhere else (A New York Kind of Love or A Malibu Kind of Romance) there are ties to the south. What can I say, I’m a country girl and I love representing the area where I grew up.


What are some of your favorite memories of growing up in The South?

Hanging out with my cousins after church on Sundays, packing up the car for a trip to the beach or Carowinds, picking pecans from my great grandparents trees, getting super excited about the possibility of snow for it to never happen.


What dishes are a must try for someone visiting South Carolina for the first time?

Hmm...I’m a fan of mustard based bar-b-que sauce.. My husband will fight anyone who claims mustard over vinegar based. We grew up in different parts of the state and therefore our preferences are very different. I’d say try bar-b-que in the Upstate, Midlands and Pee Dee regions to see if you prefer mustard, vinegar or ketchup based.


Have you picked up any new hobbies or rediscovered hobbies you enjoy during the pandemic?

Not at all! Lol! All I’ve done during this pandemic is buy more tiaras, watch more K Dramas, and eat a lot more food. I have no regrets whatsoever! :) 


You can keep up with Synithia Williams on Twitter @SynithiaW and on Instagram @synithiaw .  And it's not too late to start her Jackson Falls series.



3 comments:

  1. Enjoyed the interview.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure I've ever had mustard-based bbq sauce but I'd definitely try it. I lean towards sweeter bbq sauce like what you'd find in Memphis, TN. Great interview! I was gifted a book by her so I'm even more excited to pick it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely wanna go down to SC and get the real stuff!

      Delete

About Me

My photo
Lover of food and lore. I'm always looking to get lost in my next adventure between the pages. https://ko-fi.com/mswocreader