Saturday, August 21, 2021

Mixed Match by Mia Heintzelman

 

Welcome Back, Booklovers! Mixed Match is a book that's been on my TBR for well over a year. So I was determined to finish it in the month of August.  These are characters in their 30s and the cover was giving me rom-com teas. Plus reading more indie-published romance is a goal of mine. 

Sophia Kent is has moved to Portland from Las Vegas into the house she received in her divorce settlement. She's trying to make a fresh start. And a part of her is trying to prove to her mother and cousin that she can make it on her own. She's a a trained chef with dreams of opening her own restaurant. But right now she's stuck in a rut which consists of plenty of ice cream to go along with her moods and horror movie marathons. Cousin Julie insists she needs to find a new man to get under.

Everett Monroe own's a family real estate business. The Monroe family has had a long standing feud with the Harmon family. His grandmother was tricked out of signing over her home before she died and he's ready to get it back. He's surprised when he meets the woman now residing in his home. Between his instant attraction towards her and his urge to discover her intentions he decides to get close to her. And to get close to her he can't have her discover that he's the man who is trying to take away her home. 

It was a little clunky for me at first. Sophia and Everett meet when he's serving her papers at her new home. And they are immediately turned on by each other. Their lust for each other is very much in your face. This story is also dropped Hatfields and McCoys references multiple times and I had already figured out it was that type of story before so I didn't see the need to spell it out again and again. 

I liked reading about them spending time with each other while Sophia got familiarized with Portland like the farmer' market trip and hiking dates . And I liked how Sophia also built a friendship with Everett's sister, Zora. Everett has Zora and his friend Mike to support him and help him understand his growing feelings.

Now where this book shined was in the sex scenes. The first one especially is so hot. They're driving in a car and Sophia decides she's ready to risk it all. It's a race to get to an area they can pull over at before they crash because they can't keep their hands off each other. 

I'm very conflicted about this one because while I started to like Everett and Sophia together; their entire relationship is built on a lie. She doesn't even know his first and last name! But at the same time he loved his grandmother and was fighting to get back what was stolen from her. And he does try and support Sofia when he realizes she's not like the Harmons and help her find a retail space for her restaurant. I just couldn't get completely invested in them. I'll probably read the next book in the series because I really liked Zora.


1 comment:

  1. It's so hard to rate books where most of it was meh, but then there's that one thing it does really well. I waffle a lot on how many stars to give those on goodreads.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Lover of food and lore. I'm always looking to get lost in my next adventure between the pages. https://ko-fi.com/mswocreader