Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Never Cross a Highlander by Lisa Rayne

Welcome Back, Booklovers! While I'm not normally a historical romance reader when I saw a Black man on the cover I just couldn't resist. I've had this one on my tbr for over a year and I received an arc from Entangled Publishing.



Ailsa Connery is a freeborn biracial woman who was captured and enslaved at Sterling Castle. She's hoping to make her escape to reconnect with her clan during a tournament but her plans get thwarted when she's captured. Her capture is handsome highlander Kallum MacNeill who runs an Underground Railroad of sorts freeing enslaved people. While freeing servants in the palace he grabs her too so she doesn't ruin their plans for freedom. She decides to convince him to help her make her way back to her clan.

This is a slow burn romance and it did take a little time in the beginning for me to really get into the story. It felt like there was a lot of set up at first. It was also very wordy at some parts and lengthy for a romance. It did get better when I stuck with it. Kallum and Ailsa do have great chemistry that kept me engaged.

Ailsa did grate my nerves at times though. While I admired her independent spirit, her need to be a contrarian all the time also got them into trouble. Sometimes I needed her to just shut up and follow Kallum especially when it resulted in her life being in danger. I liked Kallum but I did want to know a little more about him. We did get some insight towards the end from his adopted family of sorts.

This isn't based off any real figures so Lisa Rayne images what life could've been like during that time for a Black highlander in an all white community. Fans of historical romance will appreciate all the familiar tropes sprinkled throughout. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Lover of food and lore. I'm always looking to get lost in my next adventure between the pages. https://ko-fi.com/mswocreader