Sunday, November 22, 2020

Alaskan Christmas Redemption by Belle Calhoune

 

Welcome Back, Booklovers! It's been a rough month not gonna lie and I haven't been in the reading mood as much but I feel like I've gotten my mojo back. And it's currently my favorite time of year, The Most Wonderful Time of the Year! If you follow me on Twitter be prepared to be bombarded with decoration pictures soon. To get in the spirit I started my holiday reads. I've never read a book by this author before but I know she's a popular Black author for Harlequin Love Inspired Inspirational Romance. 




So this story follows Braden North and Piper Miller. Braden has recently returned to Owl Creek, Alaska after having been gone for years and he's harboring a secret. Piper is still reeling from her father's death a few years ago and is struggling to turn around the Snowy Owl Diner she inherited from him. She doesn't want to admit it but she's in the hole for a lot of money and she just can't seem to keep up with the flashier new restaurants.

This is a friends to lovers small town romance that helps you get into the Christmas spirit as the characters trim trees, eat holiday pies, and sip hot cocoa. This romance novel was easy to read with me finishing it in one day. However I felt the secret was more of a misunderstanding that could've easily been explained with one talk and it later was. So it felt dragged out to me and I wish their was a little more conflict. 

I do want to mention that this line is faith based so there are mentions of God and prayer during times of need. As a Christian woman that didn't bother me. And as someone who went to Catholic school and has read Christian books and seen many Christian movies I don't feel it was done in a way where religion was forced down your throats like some Christian stories. 

I needed more of the saving the diner plot which felt like it was solved very easily and was unbalanced compared to the long drawn out secret that just wasn't large enough to carry the story. I would've also loved to see more cozy moments between the couple. Their romance was cute but it wasn't enthralling enough for me to highly recommend this. There was some diversity since the lead heroine is biracial and she does briefly talk about growing up in a small mostly town with a Black father. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Lover of food and lore. I'm always looking to get lost in my next adventure between the pages. https://ko-fi.com/mswocreader