Friday, April 9, 2021

Interview with Author Kathy Douglass

 

Welcome Back, Booklovers! You've heard me mention Harlequin before if you've been following this blog for awhile as I've read quite a few of their books recently. I'm happy to bring you an interview with a Harlequin writer who gives a little insight to the process for my writing readers and gushes about small town romance and second chance love.


Do you remember the first Harlequin novel you ever read?

No. It was quite a while ago. My sister had a bunch of them and I just read one after the other. I remember some of the plot lines and character names, though. I just wish I could remember the titles. I would love to reread some of them. I keep hoping that I’ll stumble upon a few of them, but so far no luck. 


What made you decide to write small town romance?

Although I read all types of romances, small town romances are my favorites. I love the feel of the town and the sense of community there. I also like running into familiar characters in book after book and catching up with their lives. Since they’re my favorite to read, I decided to try writing them. It is my hope that readers will enjoy my books as much as I enjoy books by my favorite authors.


Will you ever write a romance in your hometown of Chicago?

I don’t know. I have read books set in Chicago and enjoyed them quite a bit. It’s fun to see my hometown in books, especially when I recognize some of the places. But when you use a real city and real locations, there is always the risk of getting it wrong, or a business changing or moving after the book has been published. That risk doesn’t exist when you create a fictional town. The author is in control of everything.

Additionally, I think my readers have certain expectations. They know when they pick up a Kathy Douglass book, they will be getting a sweet, small town romance. But still…  I never say never.


What’s the process like writing for Harlequin Special Edition and what are some of the guidelines you have to stick to? 


The book starts with the proposal which is basically a synopsis of the story. Once the proposal is accepted, I write the book and submit it to my editor. Once he reads it, he makes suggestions for revisions which I make. After the book is accepted, it goes to copy edits and is formatted. I get one more look at author approvals, where I reread the book and make any changes I want. My editor reviews them and the book is off to be printed.

Around this time, I complete an art fact sheet which gives the art department a general idea of what my characters look like and a few scenes in the book. I link in a pinterest board that I create which has images of the models I have chosen and some clothes I think they might wear. I frequently include pictures of settings. Although I spend a lot of time on these, I never cease to be amazed that the art team is able to translate my words and a few pictures into a beautiful cover.  My covers are so gorgeous. Each one is more beautiful than the other. I have a few favorites, but I honestly love each and every one of them.

Harlequin has guidelines authors follow in order to live up to the promise of the Special Edition line. Readers have certain expectations of what they will read when they pick up a Special Edition book. For instance, each book needs to be 60,000 words long (give or take a couple hundred). In addition to the hero and heroine, the books also show the main character’s community. You meet their friends and family. The characters also live a regular life as opposed to the glamorous life in other Harlequin lines.

Here is a link to the submission guidelines Harlequin prints. https://harlequin.submittable.com/submit/29564/harlequin-special-edition-60-000-words


How many books do you write a year on average?

I write about three books a year.


Out of all of the books you’ve written which character closely resembles you?

This is such a hard question. I think there are bits of me in many of my characters. For instance, Roz Martin, the heroine in THE SINGLE MOM’S SECOND CHANCE, was a devoted mother and willing to do anything for her kids. As a mother, I feel the same way about my kids.

I like to think that I have a good sense of humor like Lex Devlin or that I am as sweet as Joni Danielson, two of my favorite people in town and the hero and heroine in A BABY BETWEEN FRIENDS. Although I think I’m as funny as Lex, I don’t think I’m quite as sweet as Joni. 



What are your favorite romance tropes?

I love enemies to lovers. There is already so much tension and emotion between the characters. Every feeling is enhanced by the anger they feel for the other person.  A habit that the heroine would find endearing in another man bugs her to no end in the hero. A characteristic the hero would tolerate in another woman is intolerable in the heroine. All because of the animosity between them. Every reaction and emotion is heightened.

I love the moment when they realize that their hatred has diminished and even changed. The shock they feel when they realize that they don’t hate the other person after all. And horror of horrors, they might actually love the other person. I know the moment is coming, but it gets me every time.

I also like second chance romance because I like believing that if you don’t get it right the first time, all is not lost. Maybe love will work out the second time around. 

I also like friends to lovers because sometimes the person you’re looking for has been right there all the time, languishing in the friend zone.

 

What is your upcoming book Redemption on Rivers Ranch about?

REDEMPTION ON RIVERS RANCH is a friends to lovers romance. Carson Rivers and Gabriella Tucker were summertime best friends. From the time she was a little girl until she was fifteen, Gabriella would spend the summer visiting her great aunt and uncle on their ranch. She and Carson had become instant friends and spent every moment of those summers together.


Fast-forward fifteen years. Gabriella’s divorced with two young children and Carson has had a few difficulties of his own. 


If you’ve read THE RANCHER’S RETURN, you’ve already met Carson. He’d been engaged to Raven Reynolds, the heroine in that book, before Donovan Cordero, Raven’s one true love, returned after a long absence. It didn’t take long before Carson was cast aside and Raven and Donovan reunited.


Carson was such a good guy that I always felt a bit guilty about the way I treated him in that book. I wanted him to have a happily ever after which he finds with Gabriella. Here is the official blurb.


The return of his childhood friend leads to the fresh start he never expected


Horse rancher Carson Rivers has his own emotional demons. There’s no place in his life for a divorced single mom pulling at his heartstrings. But when Gabriella Tucker and her adorable children move next door—the place of her favorite childhood memories—Carson’s tempted to help the heart-guarded beauty make more adult memories. Maybe Gabriella and her kids are the healing balm he’s been yearning for…


Have you ever visited a ranch and done some horseback riding?

I haven’t visited an actual ranch, but I have been horseback riding a time or two. They weren’t long rides, though. 


Have you picked up any new hobbies during quarantine?

Does sitting and staring into space count? No, I haven’t picked up a new hobby. I have tried to make space for an old hobby. I grew up playing the piano and enjoy it quite a bit. I try to find time to play every day. It doesn’t always happen, but when it does, my day is so much happier. 


Are there any upcoming projects you can mention?

I have another book coming out on October 26, 2021. It is entitled A KISS AT THE MISTLETOE RODEO. Harlequin Special Edition publishes multi-author continuities that are very popular. This book is part of the Montana Mavericks series. One of my previous books, THE MAVERICK’S BABY ARRANGEMENT, was also part of the Montana Mavericks. The heroine in A KISS AT THE MISTLETOE RODEO, is actually the sister of the heroine in THE MAVERICK’S BABY ARRANGEMENT. So even though the books aren’t part of my Sweet Briar Sweethearts series, there is still that family connection that I enjoy writing.


1 comment:

About Me

My photo
Lover of food and lore. I'm always looking to get lost in my next adventure between the pages. https://ko-fi.com/mswocreader