Monday, April 19, 2021

Where the Rhythm Takes You by Sarah Dass

 

Welcome Back, Booklovers! I was in for some romance before jumping in to epic fantasy and with this one releasing May 11 it was the perfect time. First I would like to thank Sarah Dass for sending me a copy for review. She knew it meant a lot to me as a reviewer of Trinidadian descent to get my hands on a copy of Where the Rhythm Takes You . I'm giving you a disclaimer that due to connections I felt to the story my review is a little biased. 



Reyna is a 17 yr old girl living in Tobago working at her family's resort still grapping with the loss of her mother two years later. She still has feelings for her first boyfriend, Aiden who moved to the US and became a Grammy winning musician. As the front man of DJ Bacchanal he mixes island sounds with EDM that has taken the music scene by storm. So she's shocked when he's back on the island with his band in tow and a new girl at his side who also happens to be her half sister's sister-in-law. Aiden being back brings up a lot of memories she tried her hardest to suppress. Her hopes to avoid them are shattered when her father nominates her as their tour guide for the duration of their stay.

Reading this book transported back to my vacation a couple of years ago in Tobago where we did some of the activities the group does in this book like the beachside horseback riding and boat ride the the Nylon Pool. And I loved how she showcased all the beauty the island had to offer not just from the tourist activity side but from the music, food, and history. 

Reyna does come across older than 17 but it in some ways made me think of my mother who had to act much older than her age at 17 because she was living in Trinidad trying to make a living on her own. Reyna's mother put a lot of pressure on her towards the end of her life to take over the hotel and keep her legacy alive. So Reyna has had to grow up fast and has thrown herself into day to day operations while trying to halt any changes around her. This depiction of grief was very well done. And there were flashbacks inserted throughout the story that added the right amounts of tension. Everyone close to her thinks she should be off hanging with friends pursuing her dream of being an artist but she's scared to move forward so she gives up what she loves. 

YA doesn't have the best reputation for including parents in stories and I liked that even though she and her father didn't have the best relationship he was a constant in her life and truly championing for her happiness even though she didn't always see it that way.

I've never read Persuasion so I can't speak to how similar it is to that story. However if you love angsty summer romances and stunning tropical locales I suggest picking this one up. If you're a Trinbagonian whether on the island or abroad you're going to feel an extra connection to this story. The rhythm of the islands leap off the page giving this second chance romance a unique flair. And lovers of music should check out the Soca playlist at the end which was another fun addition. 

1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed the review. Sounds like a great book.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Lover of food and lore. I'm always looking to get lost in my next adventure between the pages. https://ko-fi.com/mswocreader