Saturday, April 10, 2021

The Girl With Stars in Her Eyes by Xio Axelrod

 

Welcome Back, Booklovers!  I'm back with another book review. And this one was an audiobook I was given a chance to listen to in advance courtesy of Dreamscape Media. I'd seen the cover around but I really didn't know what this book was about. And then upon doing a Google search I found out that there's a Spotify playlist to accompany the book. 

Indie rock artist Antonia "Toni B" Bennett gets a chance to fill in as the guitarist in a hot new girl band signed to a major label when there's problems with their main guitarist. This might finally be her ticket out of PA to chase her dreams. Sebastian Quick aka Seb is managing The Lilly's and tired of playing babysitter to the train wreck that is Candy. Things are further complicated when the girl that got away is back in his life. 

At first I wasn't really sure what to make of this book. It's labelled a romance and there is a romance in it that's like a second chance friends to lovers type. But for a chunk of the book it didn't feel like a priority. So it took me longer to get behind them and root for them to be together. Plus much of their relationship relied on flashbacks to their childhood. 

It felt like not much happened in this story. Toni has a complicated relationship dynamic with her parents that was interesting but not enough to sustain this story. It was an easy listen but overall it wasn't a particularly memorable one. 

1 comment:

About Me

My photo
Lover of food and lore. I'm always looking to get lost in my next adventure between the pages. https://ko-fi.com/mswocreader