Wednesday, April 7, 2021

Pursuit of the Truth by K.D. Richards

 

Welcome Back, Booklovers! It's been a minute since I read a romantic suspense and with a cover like this I couldn't resist. You know when you see a cover and just know you'll like the book?

                   

This book has the fast-paced suspense I needed and once I got into the story it was hard to put down. There's been a series of strange things that have happened to Nadia Shelton the past few days and she isn't sure what to make of it. When she's pushed into ongoing traffic in the streets of NYC she's sure someone is out for her life. But who could be out for blood? The hotel heiress is lucky to have a top notch security team that takes her safety seriously. West Investigations is run by two brothers and The Shelton Hotel is one of their longest running clients. Ryan West is has been crushing on Nadia for over a year and he's offering round the clock service free of extra charge to make sure she's safe. 

There was constant action in this story. Car chases, arson, kidnapping, break ins, etc made sure there was never a quiet moment and reminded you of the looming threat. They worked well together as a team and K. D. Richards knows how to write action scenes which is where some suspense writers struggle. She didn't lean too heavy on the romance side and let the plot go to the wayside which I appreciate. 

The one thing I'll say fell flat for me was the sex scenes. Ryan and Nadia had great chemistry throughout so I expected them to be smoldering. Especially since this is Harlequin. But instead they felt very technical. And that was a let down. But it was not enough for me to write off this book.

Even though Nadia is in trouble she can handle her own. I liked the glimpses of her at her workplace as a very hands on CEO of a boutique hotel change. Now Ryan was a little like a TV investigator in that he was insanely good at his job and fast too. He completely fit the description of an action hero. 

This romance debut got me interested in the rest of the series and I look forward to reading Shawn's story next. Even though this is a part of a series all books can be read as standalones. And luckily the next two take place during Christmas time so that should be a treat.


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Lover of food and lore. I'm always looking to get lost in my next adventure between the pages. https://ko-fi.com/mswocreader